Saturday, August 28, 2010

Garden Gazing Ball

Well, I spent most of this week sewing like a crazy woman and trying to figure out how to take pictures of myself in the outfits without looking like a total weirdo.  You can check out some of my attempts here: Etsy photos .  I'm trying a new technique where I cut my head off.  I'm not very comfortable in front of a camera so this method seems to be going a little better.

Eventually I managed to turn my attention away from photos of me because we had beautiful weather here this week, which led me back out to my garden.  I've noticed a few cool 'gazing ball' projects on other blogs and I figured this was something that my own garden has been lacking.  The other projects were all created with used bowling balls (see: Cap Creations and My Repurposed Life) .  However, used bowling balls are pretty rare around these parts.  So, I headed out to our local Salvation Army Thrift Shop and found a great substitute.....an old light fixture cover.

Here are the supplies I used:

This project is so simple and took about 10 minutes to complete (minus the drying time).

Step 1: clean the light fixture
Step 2: apply stickers or decals (I used the left over bits from a window decal sheet I had)
Step 3: plaster it with Modge Podge.
Step 4: let it dry

And here's the final result as it dries in the sunshine!

I'm pretty pleased with it.  The Modge Podge gives a nice swirly effect that catches in the sunlight.  I might try another one with more sparkly stickers.  Try it out and let me know what you come up with!

T.

Coming soon: Inspiration boards~

3 comments:

Nicole said...

oh you are a genius! I see all these tutorials involving bowling balls- which I haven't found one yet. I racked my brain and never could come up with anything!!!

Crafts a la Mode said...

Brilliant. I, too, have tried finding a bowling ball for this purpose. Nada. Thanks so much. I can't wait to go find one of these globes. That should be easy enough.
Linda

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I've seen this done where a battery, solar or electric light is put inside and lit up for a glowing ball at night.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...